Saturday 20 February 2010

Solway Sojourn

With light winds and a smooth sea forecast, conditions looked promising for a quick jaunt on the Solway.  High water was at 15:00, so that left plenty time for an easy drive down.  There was no real plan - just go down and take it as it came.

I went down sharp as I wanted to see how quick the tide came in.  I wasn't disappointed, as it was still well out when I arrived...


It was about three hours after Low Water before it was more or less up to the bay above.  Set off heading for Rough Island, a stop being required to fix a stuck skeg.  Using a skeg today was never likely, but it seemed daft not to fix it.  Rough Island is a bird reserve, and owned by the National Trust for Scotland.  There were certainly plenty of oystercatchers about.

Having spent my youth in Galloway, part of the attraction about paddling parts of the coast, is to revist places I went to many years ago.  See them from a different perspective ...

From Rough Island, meandered along to Balcary Bay Hotel.  On discovering alcohol in my tender years, Balcary Bay Hotel was frequented more than once, although always by the front door ...


My trip across was only interrupted by the Haaf Net Fishing poles.

Turning left, I heading out to Hestan Island and Balcary Tower.  Conditions, as can be seen, were "challenging"




A couple of fishermen were trying their luck.



Rounding Hestan Island brought me round to a modern "lighthouse" !




Whilst the cottage on the northern shore, although protected from the Southerly gales, looked decidely cold ...




But the bright lights of Kippford beckoned ...


Met three other kayakers on the way back.  One from Kippford, and a couple from Kirkgunzeon.

A short, but enjoyable, 16K...

No comments: