Monday 1 February 2010

Inspiration ...

Over the last ten years or so, I've subconsciously started to visit most of the larger Scottish Islands.  I couldn't put a date on when I started, but I kind of became aware of if after cycling round the Western Isles one year, followed by Orkney and Shetland the year after.  It's not as clinical as  doing a round of Munros or ticking off a list.  It's more like just as and when the notion and the opportunity afford. 

I've been to Skye many times over the years.  I've no doubt looked onto Raasay many times and never given it too much thought.  Lately though, when I was snowed in, I started to read  this ...


Whilst I knew of the road, I had no real knowledge of the history and heartache behind it.  It's a real compelling read.  So much so that I can see myself kayaking round Raasay this year and looking round some of the places mentioned in the book.  It will be a slow, contemplative trip - not a mad circumnavigation of Raasay ( and perhaps Rona ) in a few days.  Like a fine malt, I'm sure it will be a trip to savour.

No comments: